Godalming and its Wardens
The following information has been largely drawn from The Corporation of Godalming by Ralph Nevill, F.S.A. in Surrey Archaeological Collections, vol XIX, 1906
The Market House was demolished in 1814 and on the site was built the ‘The Pepperpot’ which became the town hall of Godalming.
This building was used to house French prisoners during the Napoleonic War, a useful source of income for its upkeep.
Queen Elizabeth granted Godalming the right to hold a market in 1575. There was a charter which decreed the manner of the administration of the town. There was a Warden, a kind of early Mayor and eight assistants. The Warden was to be elected annually.
Home Page ‘Next Page’ Joyce family